My Mom recently expressed exasperation at a toothy magazine cover of Oprah Winfrey. “She’s the same age as me, so why doesn’t she have bags under her eyes and everything else?” The answer is, of course, the vanity tag-team of plastic surgery and photo airbrushing! Thanks to Evan Roth, a senior fellow at the Eyebeam OpenLab, my mom can soon see EXACTLY where Oprah’s eye baggage is hidden. Roth’s project, DeTouch, uses the open-source technology, Processing, to deconstruct magazine retouching pixel by pixel. Using before and after photos, DeTouch uses algorithms to map the precise aspects of the “before” photo that were deleted, added or changed by the retouch artist. This program is an essential media literacy tool, especially for young women who might put their natural bodies at harm to mimic the fantasy world that gleaming glossy magazine covers create. With scary television shows that treat plastic surgery treatments to be as blasé and normal as buying a new pair of shoes, DeTouch provides a reality check that we all desperately need.
Submit to the Research Blog
Know of a great article, video, photo to submit to the site? Just completed a project you think should be shared with our readers?
- Scorpion TV on This Space Available
- touch + sight | celebrate your senses on Ad-Free Blog & Keep Your Day Job
- nagash on This Space Available
- Ashley Tumson on Office Tenants Plagued by Series of Illegal Supergraphic Signs; Do the L.A. City Attorney and District Councilman Care?
- Kandy Giles on Ad Lib Poster Project
Most Popular of All-Time
- Product Placement "oppertunity" from email@example.com 65,047 views
- Home 50,444 views
- Buenos Aires to Remove 40 Thousand Billboards to Fight Visual Pollution 36,082 views
- Oprah, baby, please let me DeTouch you… 31,763 views
- Our Mission 12,836 views
Tag cloudchina humor grl AAAFFF illegal advertising sticker history self-loathing hack tv you don't need it social marketing marketing politics aaaproject consumer resistance poster free outdoor prank toronto ads everywhere how to los angeles taxes add-art graffiti justfollowingorders video the law public space thingsthatmakeyousayhmmmmm billboard san francisco art greenwashing bad deals online ad creep nyc branding chicago not creative haha brands