It was a bizarre cat-and-mouse game, played on Sunday across scores of makeshift billboards in New York.
One group of artists and activists spread across Lower Manhattan, transforming innumerous wheat-pasted posters — the ones that readily sprout over scaffolding — into their own canvas.
They would whitewash the posters and then create their own work, or allow anti-advertising advocates to spread their own messages.
But just as quickly as they whitewashed and put up art, workers arrived to put up new posters where the artists had obscured the old ones.
And so it went, back and forth, with drama, confrontation and even a few arrests by day’s end.
The takeover efforts were organized by an artist, Jordan Seiler, who founded a group called the Public Ad Campaign to question and challenge the use of outdoor ads in public areas.
Submit to the Research Blog
Know of a great article, video, photo to submit to the site? Just completed a project you think should be shared with our readers?
- New York City’s Struggle to Take Down Illegal Billboards
- Artists Strike Back! The New York Street Advertising Takeover (NYSAT)/Municipal Landscape Control Committee (Groundswell)
- Assuming There’s a New York Times in 2040, I Hope It’s Not This One (from Technologizer)
- Why You Should Be In New York July 1st
- NYT: City Room Blog – Ad or Art? Chanel’s 2.55 vs. Zoning’s C5-3
Most Popular of All-Time
- Product Placement “oppertunity” from firstname.lastname@example.org 505,770 views
- Buenos Aires to Remove 40 Thousand Billboards to Fight Visual Pollution 352,075 views
- You Don’t Need It – Stickers 158,870 views
- New Project: Add-Art; replaces online ads with art 154,218 views
- Bus Stop Advertising Project 128,800 views
Tag cloudvideo chicago humor hack outdoor nyc taxes ad creep marketing brands social marketing poster billboard justfollowingorders illegal advertising politics branding online add-art grl haha ads everywhere the law greenwashing self-loathing aaaproject los angeles tv graffiti prank AAAFFF free art consumer resistance history san francisco sticker public space how to china toronto you don't need it bad deals thingsthatmakeyousayhmmmmm not creative